Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Not as expected...Birth Story Part I

We've finally gotten our computer back which means I can update everyone on our lives the last 4 weeks...yes it has been FOUR weeks since our little guy entered the world....people aren't lying when they say it goes fast. I have so much to share I'm a little overwhelmed but I guess I will just start at the very beginning...

November 6th was Nick and I's first anniversary. We had decided to go to our favorite restaurant Osaka and then get ice cream and rent a movie. Dinner was super yummy. We eat at this place for big occassions...we celebrate most birthdays here including my 26th birthday just minutes after we got engaged. Here we are on our first anniversary...having no idea that in just a few hours I would be in labor.
11/6 First Year Anniversary

And here are some pictures of his room taken the night I went into labor:



We got ice cream and rented a movie and set up a little fort on the floor. Before starting the movie, we managed to get one final belly picture in the nursery. Here I am at 39 weeks 1 day...about 3 hours before going into labor:
39 weeks 1 Day
Of course half way through the movie Nick was asleep. I finished the movie and was still wide awake so watched "Once Upon a Time" that I had DVR'd. About 10 minutes into watching this I felt my first contraction. Now, at the time I had no idea what it was. It was just a little uncomfortable, like a bad cramp. However, after my 4th or 5th one I decided to start writing them down and timing them to see if these really were contractions. After an hour of contractions 6 minutes apart and lasting about 45 seconds, I finally started to believe I might be in labor. Nick was still sleeping on the floor and I decided to go upstairs and see if I could fall asleep thinking these labor pains would go away. The hours passed...2 am...3 am...and I was still having consistant contractions. I finally decided to call the hospital to see what they thought. I called around 3:30 am and they said once my contractions were getting closer together to come in. Bascially she didn't really help me at all and almost made me feel silly for calling. This ended up being the ONLY negative experience with St. Lukes as every other second involved with them was incredible. So I waited it out. Nick came upstairs around 4 am and I told him I was pretty sure I was in labor and we would be having a baby sometime in the next 24 hours. He was shocked and excited and to be honest, didn't really believe me. That is, until I kept him up and he could HEAR my pain. It wasn't all dramatic like the movies but I was definitely vocal to get through each contraction. At one point I went back downstairs to lay on the floor and Nick said he could still hear me. At one point I decided to take a bath which did ease the pain but didn't stop the contractions. Around 6 or 7 am I emailed my boss saying that today might be the day and I would keep her posted. My 39 week appointment was at 11:30 am and my orginal goal was to make it until that appointment because part of me still swore this was a fluke and I would be sent home. Around 8:30 the conractions made me drop to my knees and we decided it was time to go. We loaded up the car and we were on our way. I called my OB on the way and explained to them what was going on and they told me to go to the hospital immediately.
We arrived at the hospital around 9 am and they got us in a room right away. The nurse ended up being my Mom and Step Dad's old neighbor that I had known for years. SHE WAS FANTASTiC! Cindy (the nurse) checked me and said we were at 4 cm and 80% effaced...in active labor. I'll never forget what she said...."You better call your Mom, you're having a baby today."
I was so happy. If you know me you know I'm a planner....I wanted to labor at home for a while which I ended up doing for 9 hours...and I wanted to go into labor on my own which I did.....it APPEARED that everything was going according to plan and I would have the birth I wanted. Boy was I wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment