Thursday, May 5, 2011

Sayanora Osama and Working out Pregnant Lady Style

First and foremost I have to address the recent death of Osama. GOOD riddance. President Bush, President Obama, and the team of men who bravely went in there and got the job done all deserve credit. VERY proud to be an American and so glad the friends and families of those who were lost on 9/11 received some closure.

SOOOO...working out while pregnant. Knowing how to modify your workouts and adjust correctly has been somewhat of a learning experience for me so far. Pre-pregnancy running, spin class, lifting and occassionally swimming were all a part of my weekly routine. From the moment I found out I was pregnant I immediately thought of how I would alter my workouts so that the baby would always be safe. I think for everyone this is different. I have heard to keep your heart rate at or below 140 beats per minute, that you shouldn't run because it puts too much pressure on your bladder, that you should never get overheated, stay away from contact sports, amongst others. After talking with my doctor and exploring and experimenting different options, I have come to the conclusion that your body will tell you what is ok and what isn't. I make sure that I'm never gasping for air or super fatigued, and don't lift heavy weights. It's certainly a very much toned down version of my workouts before but my intentions are different as well. I just want to stay as healthy as I can and give myself the opportunity to have the smoothest labor possible. My weekly workout looks something like this:

Monday - 15 minutes Elliptical, 10 minutes stationary bike, lower body weights
Tuesday - 20 minutes Treadmill (walk at 4.2 at 7-9 incline for 4 minutes, run at 6.0 for 2 minutes at 1.5 incline X 3; 2 minute walking cooldown.) Upper body Weights
Wednesday - Maternity Yoga Class (1 hr)
Thursday - OFF
Friday - 30 minutes treadmill (walk 4.2 at 7-9 incline for 5 minutes, run at 6.0 for 2 minutes at 1.5 incline X 4; 2 minute walking cooldown). Upper and lower body weights
Saturday & Sunday - I pick one of these days, and it doesn't matter which, to get a swimming workout in. I do 1,000 to 1,500 yards (200 swim; 200 kick; 100 pull X 3). The other day is OFF.

*On the weights days I usually pick 3 exercises and do 2 sets of 12 reps. On the upper and lower day I pick 2 exercises for the upper body and 2 for the lower body and the same 2 sets of 12 reps. I also work a 40 hr/week job so 1- 2 times a day I get up an walk a mile in the skywalk which helps me get some movement in during the day as well. I tihnk that throughout my pregnancy this workout will change several times and certainly towards the end I will be doing very little other than walking. Like I said, I just do what feels comfortable.


PREGNANT LADY YOGA

Yesterday I went to my first Prenatal Yoga Class at the Mercy Fitness Center. I have only ever done yoga one other time before and it was years ago for the swim team in high school, obviously NOT pregnant. I went in with an open mind but also knowing it might be a little uncomfortable at times as I'm not used to it. Mozart played quielty in the background, the room was dim, and I was surrounded by about 15 pregnant (some of them VERY pregnanty) women. It was a little overwhelming! My friend Ashley who is into her 3rd trimester and due in August was there and was the one who told me about the class. I loved the deep stretching and I think that the breathing exercises will come in handy come November. They teach you how to use your whole breath. Now, should you have been a peeping Tom watching these incredibly awkward poses and hearing Mozart play, I'm sure you'd get a good chuckle. Oh not to mention,  when we were doing our cooldown/breathing exercises! Laying on our sides, eyes closed, we hear what sounds like a xylophone "ding" several times, much like when the high school announcements were made in the movie Grease. Of course my curiosity was sparked so I'd open one eye and see our instructor walking around us banging on this "dinging" instrument. This was one of my favorite moments:) So far so good, I highly reccommend it! If you want to read up a little more on exactly what it's purpose is here is a link:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_great-pregnancy-exercise-prenatal-yoga_7862.bc

This weekend I'll put more belly pictures up...though not much is changing down there yet:( I'm so ready for a belly!!





3 comments:

  1. LOL! i love this and how reading it makes me feel lazy! haha. i never worked out besides a walk here and there pregnant. thus, harder to rid of the weight. BOO! i felt like I was showing at 12 weeks, but now looking back i was goofy. however i did gain a whopping 50 lbs. keep up the good work mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well we shall see if I REALLY keep this up haha. I'm not too worried about the weight I gain, I'm more worried about the labor/birth part of it...frankly I'm terrified of it so I figure if I stay in relatively good shape it might be easier!! I love your comments:O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true statement above- Staying in relatively good shape for a easier labor...
    My childbirth class instructor said it pretty well- "If you knew you were going to be running a marathon to win $1 million dollars, you would train as much and as best you could, right? So think of your labor as your marathon, with a baby as the prize!"

    ReplyDelete